Rhythmic Gymnastics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My friends

Go down

My friends Empty My friends

Post  reva555 Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:58 am

My friends

My friends will persevere, during a few days more, and our triumph will then be completed, by the only, constitutional mode of deciding such a contest as we are en-gaged in— a majority of votes on tbe Sheriff's Poll. Those freeholders, whom, lafter all my personal exertions, I have not been able to wait upon, will, Tory Burch Flats I trust, attribute that circumstance to tbe right cause, the want of time, and will not withhold their support from me on that account. After thewelection, I shall, with pleasure, discharge that duty, aud allothers which it may be incumbent on me to perform. 1 have the honour to be, Gentlemen, Your very faithful and devoted servant, ' JOHN BENETT. jDenser, June 18> 1818. To the Gentlemen, Clergy, Yeomen, and Freeholder in general of the County of Wilts. GENTLEMEN,—The Eighteenth of June, so memorable in the annals of the world-, and honourable to my family^ will, in the records of this county, prove, I trust, a day of happy prospect; and one of distinction to myself. As a friend to the free exercise of the suffrages of the free-holder—"unbiassed,"—I Tory Burch Outlet protest most solemnly against the unconstitutional proceeding of permitting- the assemblage, in military order, of troops of Yeomanry Cavalry (though not in uniform,) armed with heavy sticks. It was with the most sincere regret,, that,at the bead of this corps,. I saw a private friend, though political enemy— a Candidate for a seat in Parliament--ana a magistrate.— Is this the way to conciliate the affections of > the electors ? This novel mode of advocating the cause- of a Candidate, put in nomination, can alone have occasioned the High Sheriff, (whose honour and impartiality no-one can doubt) not to have declared the public voice to be in favour of Mew Methuen and myself. The tumult of this day's proceeding must be painful to the recollection of all persons, who, upon such occasions, are advocates for calm discussion. Itboweve> gives me the most sincere gratification to know, that which must have been universally apparent to all assem~ bled at Devizes,—that the disorder arose from those who wore Mr. Benett's colours, and from no others. I most seriously regret the accident which befel Mr. Benett tbe preceding evening, and I boldly take the liberty to implore of every person who thinks favourably of me, to act respectfully, to hear patiently, and fairly to consider all' that Mr. Benett, at any period of the ensuing contest, may think fit to address to the freeholders. Whatever may be the conduct of my opponent, I shall, upon all occasions, conduct myself with the utmost temper and moderation.

reva555

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum