Rhythmic Gymnastics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

interest of the county

Go down

interest of the county Empty interest of the county

Post  reva555 Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:58 am

interest of the county

With Mr. Methuen I divide the public opinion, as well a a vast majority of the commercial and agricultural interest Tory Burch Flats of the county;—with one exception I find inserted in the list of those, who have promised Mr. Methuen or mysejf support, the descendants of gentlemen who for more than half a century represented in Parliament this great county. I am honoured by the support of whole families who were conspicuous iu the successful efforts they made to preserve the independence of the county during tbe glorious con-test of 1772. Is it therefore "idle vanity" which, under such auspicious circumstances, leads me to continue the contest ? Is it with such support as this " my long purse? can have any weight? Oris a combination of a newly-constituted magisterial autho-rity to take from its own bodyan individual possessing " local information ," whose agricultural knowledge is to be consider-ed a sufficient passport to your favour ? 1 sincerely wish well to Mr. Methuen, but that gentleman and myself Tory Burch Outlet have in no way coalesced. I have the honour to be, Gentlemen^ Your most obedient bumble servant, Devixes, June 18, 1818. W. LONG WELLESLEY. To the Gentlemen, Clergy, Yeomen, and Freeholder in general of the County of Wilts. , GENTLEMEN,—The avowed intention, of Mr. Benett, in his first address to the freeholders of 4he county, of person-ally renewing his request to you not tijll after a dissolution of Parliament, induced me to believe that that gentleman in-tended to adopt the usual course of canvassing. Bythis assertion, he was, in his personal canvass, advanc-ed more than a fortnight, before I was enabled to quit my duties in Parliament. I have adhered to the promise I made you of endeavouring to pay my respects to all the freeholders in the county ; and if 1 should not have succeeded in presenting myself to all, individually, I trust they will not consider it to have arisen from inattention or neglect, but from circumstances which were not within my control. ' I have the honour to be, Gentlemen, Your most obedient bumble servant, W. LONG WELLESLEY. Salisbury, June SO, 1818. To the Printers of the Salisbury and Winchester Journal. IN tbe report of Mr. Benett's dinner at Devizes in your Journal of Monday last, that gentleman remarked in a speech "which he made on the occasion, " that proposals had been made to him, by me, on the part of Mr. Wellesley, to decide the depending contest by a reference to the professional agents of the respective Candidates; to which I had stated that Mr. Methuen had assented." .

reva555

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum