Rhythmic Gymnastics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an opportunity

Go down

an opportunity Empty an opportunity

Post  reva555 Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 am

an opportunity

I took an opportunity yesterday, previous to the. Nomi jiation, to mention to Mr. Benett, that he laboured under a mistake respecting Mr. Methuen, and Mr. Benett promised to rectify the error; but as he failed to Tory Burch Flats do 6o at the Nomina tion, probably from the confusion and noise which prevailed, I think it right to make known thus publicly, that on my mentioning Mr. Wellesley's proposal to Mr. Methuen, that gentleman said, he was desirous of preserving the peace of the county, and would sanction what I agreed to on his behalf, provided it met with the general approbation of those who honoured .him with their support, but as Mr. Benett declined giving an answer to the proposal, on the day it was made, I did not commit Mr. Methuen or his friends, by either approving or disapproving the measure, and therefore Mr. Benett baa no authority from me to declare Mr. Methuen's assent In fact there were two propositions made by me on behalf of Mr. Wellesley—one was, that all the three Candidates should decide tbe contest without an appeal to a poll, by the method stated in Mr. Benett's speech;—and the other was, to leave Mr. Methuen out of the question, and consider bim as an unopposed Candidate, and to let the contest and ex-pense terminate by tbe reference of Mr. Benett's and Mr. Digitized by Tory Burch Outlet VjOOQlC Wellesley's votes to the investigation of mutual friend It is hot fair to add, that theseproposals were made by Mr. W^- iesley in consequence of a rumour set afloat, that be wished to injure Mr. Benett, by putting him to every possible ex pense, and to convince that gentleman and bis friends to the contrary. I remain, gentlemen, your obedient servant, Monkton Farleigh, 19th June, 1818. J. LONG. To William Long Wellesley, Esq. Sim,—I am an independent freeholder, and 'till very lately have taken but little interest ,in the impending contest for the county; it is true that I have read the various adver-tisements and squibs which have from time to time been sent forth to the public by the advocates of each party, and though some few may have disgusted me, in general 1 have derived from them considerable ^amusement. Totally un- jxroved by them myself, I have made no promise of my votes, hut have always determined to attend at the election, and to give my feeble support to tbe two Candidates whom I might then think the most worthy. I must now,.

reva555

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum